Saturday, February 9, 2008

Product Review: Archer Farms Shiitake-Teriyaki Burger Topper

Remember when I said I would review the three sauces I picked up at Target? We had burgers with the Shiitake Mushroom-Teriyaki Burger Topper last night for dinner.

We kept it very simple: salt and pepper on 1/4 pound burgers cooked medium-well stove-top in a grill pan. The sauce is dark brown with generous amounts of big slices of mushrooms.

I had mine on a plain burger with a thin slice of onion. It was, honestly, much better than I expected: great teriyaki flavor without being too sweet, a little spicy, a little tangy. The texture of the mushrooms was very good--not canned or preserved-tasting. I kept thinking they would be great on a veggie burger. Dan had his with cheese--horseradish cheddar; I'll never understand this guy--and concurred. His description: "It tastes a little Asian without being gimmicky." Well-said.

My only complaint was that it was a little salty. I would adjust the seasoning accordingly on the burger next time. Overall, though, it has my stamp of approval.

No comments: