Friday, February 22, 2008

February 22: Balsalmic Chicken With Pears

I like chicken breasts for the fact that they are a great blank canvas. They have to be treated with some care--they dry out quickly, so high fast heat is best when it comes to cooking them. Besides, I am a white-meat girl.

I found this recipe when I was looking for something to do with some chicken breasts that I have in the refrigerator that need to be used up. This seems like a hell of a find to me. I love all of these flavors, and the fact that this recipe is simple and healthy and straightforward is great.

I'm making this tonight with a salad, sauteed spinach with garlic and oil, and some leftover homemade macaroni and cheese from earlier this week. This serves 4.

Balsalmic Chicken With Pears

Ingredients

2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
3 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 450°F. Wash hands. Place pear and onion slices in a single layer in 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Combine oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Spoon half of mixture over pears and onions. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, place chicken in remaining mixture, turning to coat on all sides.

Uncover pear and onion slices; arrange chicken on top and drizzle with vinegar. Discard remaining oil mixture. Bake uncovered 20 minutes more or until chicken is done (internal temp 170°F).

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

This sounds so good it's tempting me to get past my personal ick factor of chicken. And Michael absolutely loves pears.