Tuesday, April 15, 2008

April 15: Tax Day Sandwich

It is Tax Day. I usually love Tax Day, but this year, we are rich (comparitively so) and we have to pay in. We currently have no money to pay in with (how ironic) and so I've filed an extension. The emotional trauma of suddenly being $1500 poorer (oh dear Lord) has made me unable to cook an actual meal, so I have instituted a family tradition: a tax day sandwich.

I like sandwiches. This one is a rather unfriendly one; it has a lot of nitrites and sodium. And pork. But I'm not losing any sleep over the pork. This sandwich is going to ease my pain a little tonight. And believe me, I am $1500 poorer tonight. I have a lot of pain. I'm going to eat this with chips and some really excellent guacamole, and maybe have a drink. Or two. Or seven.

Tax Day Sandwich

4 large slices crusty peasant bread
12 slices smoked deli ham
12 slices smoked turkey
8 slices thick-cut peppered bacon, fried until crispy but not dry
4 slices swiss cheese
4 slices cheddar cheese
8 thin slices tomato
8 thin slices red onion
1/4 cup honey mustard

Preheat broiler, setting rack in closest position to broiler element.

Toast the bread lightly.

Lay each slice of bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Layer each with the following:

3 slices ham
3 slices turkey
1/4 of the honey mustard
2 slices bacon
2 slices tomato
1 slice Swiss

Broil 2 minutes, or until cheese is beginning to melt.

Layer each with the following:

2 slices red onion
1 slice cheddar

Broil an additional 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melty and lightly browned.

Use a spatula to transfer each sandwich to a plate. Drizzle with additional honey mustard, if desired. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

3 comments:

merseydotes said...

Yikes. $1500 is a lot of money. I think that sandwich would go great with some beer. And it sounds like you need it.

Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this, but unless they have changed the rules a lot, the money was still due yesterday.

And to add insult to injury they are going to want estimated tax payments of 25% each quarter with the first due yesterday.

I owed about that much. The Fed in it's infinite wisdom taxes Social Security, but doesn't withhold money from the payments. We saw this one coming.

Molly said...

You can make an initial payment of pretty much any amount you want, and it automatically gives you an extension until October 15 and sets up a payment plan for you. I paid $100.